- Transformational 20%
- Traits 16%
- Leader-exchange 15%
- Authentic leadership 4%
- Servant leadership 1%
I thought it would be interesting to update the google trend search. I used the time frame September 22, 2014, to March 15, 2017, across all categories, worldwide. Which are the most googled leadership theories? The results are shown here:
- Yellow – Transformational leadership
- Blue – Servant Leadership
- Green – Leadership Traits
- Red – Authentic Leadership
1. The ranking of theories based on google searches is consistent with my 2014 trend search. Transformational and servant leadership are the two most googled leadership theories.
2. More research is needed on servant leadership. I googled “transformational leadership” and “servant leadership.” In my opinion the transformational leadership search resulted in more evidence-based information.
3. Around the holiday season google searches on leadership theories greatly decline. My hypothesis is that students have turned in their well-googled papers on leadership and are now enjoying the holidays.
Dinh, J. E., Lord, R. G., Gardner, W. L., Meuser, J. D., Liden, R. C., & Hu, J. (2014). Leadership theory and research in the new millennium: Current theoretical trends and changing perspectives. The Leadership Quarterly, 25, 36-62.
Image of trends for these leadership approaches made using data generated by Google Trends Tool
© John Ballard, PhD, 2017. All rights reserved.
Author of Decoding the Workplace, BEST CAREER BOOK Next Generation Indie Book Awards.